The Resurrectionist

Monday, July 14, 2014

Nice Guys finish Last

Nice Guys Finish Last
"We don't get many of your kind around here."
"No, I suppose not."
"Name's Bill, mind if I take a seat?"
"Please, sit."
"Hope I wasn't interrupting, you know,your prayer."
"No."
"If you don't mind, can I asks what you was praying for? I, I've never done that before. I hope it wasn't just to have better grub." Bill laughed.
"That would actually be a worthwhile prayer Bill, but no, I was thanking God for the food I'd received. My name's Jordan."
"Hard to be thankful for this stuff." Bill said.
"That's where prayer comes in handy." Jordan smiled.
Jordan knew that Bill lacked the intelligence of average men, even men in prison. After the evening meal the inmates were allowed one hour of socialization. Most nights, Jordan preferred to stay in his cell and read.  This night he ventured out. Something, maybe loneliness, compelled him.
"Jordan, hey, want to play cards? Me and some guys are getting a game together."  Bill said.
Jordan's father had taught him to play when he was a boy. Jordan and Bill sat with two other inmates and began a game of Bridge. The hour went fast. It was the first time in six months Jordan enjoyed the company of other human beings.  
"Hi Jordan," Bill said, pulling a chair the next day at breakfast. Jordan was sitting in his usual spot in the cafeteria, away from the gangs.
"Hello Bill. It's good to see you. Thanks for inviting me to the card game last night. I enjoyed it."
"I've always loved card games." Bill said.
"I figured you did." Jordan pointed to the Ace of Hearts tattooed on Bill's arm.
"Hey Jordan," Bill said. "How'd you get that scar on your forehead?"
"My father." Jordan paused at length.  "He was beating up on my mother you know, I walked in, well, let's just say that I walked into the butt of his rifle."
"That's rough man. My dad was a prick but he never beat us. He was just so damn drunk all of the time that he didn't care what we did. I don't think he even knew we were there half the time." Bill raised his milk carton. "Here's to deadbeat dads, to hell with them."
Jordan didn't raise his milk. He stood up from the table and walked away.
"Hey man, sorry if I did something. I didn't mean anything by it. We cool?" Bill called out. Jordan kept walking.  

New inmate intake interview
"What's your age?"
"I don't know."
"Really, you're going to make this difficult huh? Moving on then.  Employment history. Where did you last work?"
"I've never worked."
"How did you eat, buy things?"
"I don't eat."
"You don't eat, ok then. Where did you live, sleep?"
"I don't sleep."
"Where are you from?"
"Nowhere on this earth."

Breakfast
"Bill, hey, I wanted to say I'm sorry. I'm sorry for walking away like that. It's just, my father, you know."
"No hard feelings Jordan. I shouldn't have even asked. Forget it. Hey, we's playing again tonight. You want in?"
"Yeah sure. Count me in." Jordan said.  Bill nodded and left. Jordan walked away, feeling better about patching things up with Bill.  
"Jordan," called the prison guard.  "Warden asked me to pass this along to you. It's nothing about punishment, your behavior has been upstanding, it's just overcrowding, prison politics. You're getting a cell mate."
"What? No, I earned that cell, my good behavior."
"I know you did Jordan. I'm sorry, it's just that we got a new inmate in. Warden didn't want to place him with the gangs, said it might be volatile. They base these things on a stupid intake interview score. Don't mean nothing. Anyway, I'm sorry."

The next day
After prayer group, Jordan returned to his cell.
"You must be the new guy. My name's Jordan."
There was no response.
"You got a name?"
There was no response.
"Where you from?"
There was no response.
"Well, going to turn in for the night."  
Jordan didn't sleep that night, neither did his cell mate. The next day after breakfast Jordan returned to his cell.
"Oh, thank God. You really had me worried there partner. I didn't mean anything by the questions, just trying to break the ice. I know what it's like coming to this place. It's not easy, believe me, I know. I see your a man of God. I pray too. A lot."
Jordan gestured at his cellmate's folded hands and bowed head. The cell mate lifted his eyes slowly and looked at Jordan.
"Who said I was praying to God?"
Jordan's spine stiffened. "Guards! Guards! Help!"
"Step back from the door! Do it! Now!"  Three prison guards came running into the cell and tackled both inmates. The melee subsided. "What's going on here?"
"This man, he's evil, possessed!" Jordan cried.  
"What'd he do?"
"He ... He ... "
"It looks to me that he was just sitting there. Jordan, I know you're upset about getting a cellmate but you're just going to have to get used to it. You know the penalty for crying wolf around here. I don't want to hear anything more out of either of you."
The guards walked away. Jordan's cellmate returned to his bed, folded his hands and bowed his head.

Breakfast
"How's it going, you know, with the roomy?" Bill asked Jordan at breakfast the following day. "By the looks of you I'd say, not well. I guess sometimes nice guys really do finish last?"
"I haven't slept in almost 3 days Bill. I don't know what to do. My stomach hurts just being around him." The look on Jordan's face was cause for concern.  Bill searched his mind for a way out, a way to help his friend.
"Hang in there buddy. I think I can help.  I know you try to stay out of things, you know, inmate politics."
"I don't know Bill, that might be a bad idea. I don't want to owe them anything, or get on the bad side of one of those gang leaders. I don't know if their protection is worth that much."
"Just think about it Jordan."
Jordan returned to his cell after breakfast. His cellmate was on his bed, praying. Jordan sat on his bed. His cellmate stood up, stepped toward Jordan, and raised his hand.
"No! Guards! Help!"
The guards came running to Jordan's cell.
"What is it?"
"He, he came at me!" Cried Jordan, pointing to his cellmate who was sitting on the edge of his bed, praying.
"Damnit! Jordan! He's just sitting there.  There's not a scratch on you. How could he have possibly attacked you?"
"He ... but ... he-"
"Enough Jordan! You had your warning.  You know the rules, a week."
Jordan went without a fight. He was relieved. He could finally sleep. The door to his new cell closed, a wave of relief long over due.

Solitary
Jordan kneeled in the corner of his cell as it was common for him to meditate in this position. I can breath again. I'm thankful for this relief, even if it is only temporary. Jordan stood up, stretched his back, took a deep breath and opened his eyes.
"No! God no! Impossible! You can't be here!"
Jordan's cellmate was sitting on the only bed in the cell, praying.
"Who are you? You aren't human."
"I never said I was." The cellmate looked up at Jordan.
"What do you want?  Are you going to kill me?"
"I want to make a deal."
"A deal?"
"I've lived in this prison for a very long time, long before your time, it's my home.  I'm quite fond of her. It used to be so peaceful, until you came along."
"I don't understand. I'm the best inmate here. The warden even gave me my own cell, for good behavior."
"I don't give a damn about your good behavior! It's the damn prayin'. It's driving me nuts! It's burning my ears out!"
"I don't understand. I pray silently."
"There is no silent prayer! It rings out loudly! The deal is, you stop, I'll stop."
"You want me to stop praying?"
"You're ruining my home! My life! This place used to be so dark, so negative, I used to breath in the madness, now I choke, like breathing acid."
"Are, are you dead? A ghost?"
"Does it look like I'm dead? I'm standing right here!"
Jordan paused, shuffling his feet toward the cell door, his fear running wild.
"Listen, I don't know if I can stop." Jordan looked up from his feet. The cellmate was gone.  

Freedom
Jordan prayed harder than he ever had before. He was a man of conviction. He wasn't about to be pushed around. His resolve was strong, his will untouchable.
Jordan was released from solitary and sat in his usual spot at breakfast. Bill never showed.
"Hey, where's Bill Ferth?" Jordan asked the cafeteria guard as he placed his tray on the return counter. "Bill was murdered.  The gangs got to him. I know you two were close. I'm sorry Jordan. It was odd, the gang member who killed Bill seemed to have superhuman strength. It took 12 guards to finally subdued him. When they got him down he kept mumbled that his ears hurt and were being burned from the inside."
Jordan fell to his knees, his stomach clenched in agony.  
"Take your time Jordan." The guard placed his hand on Jordan's shoulder. "I know it's no consolation, but your cellmate was transferred out. At least you can have some peace."

Agony
"It's my fault. I shouldn't have meddled in things I can't understand. Bill's death is on my hands. I should have left it alone.  I got greedy. I wanted to fight back. I craved revenge. I can't stay here, not anymore, not with this guilt. God have mercy on my soul. This is my final prayer."
Jordan stood up and placed his journal under his pillow. The Ace of Hearts fell out to the floor. A cold chill ran down his spine. He wasn't alone.
"Jordan ... no! Don't do it. It's not your fault. You freed me. You were picked, chosen to bring light into the darkness.  You succeeded, your prayers, my death, you freed me! You're prayers are even bringing light to other inmates. You have to hang on!" It was no use, Bill could scream all he wanted, but Jordan couldn't hear Bill's spirit as he tied the bed sheet around his neck.
"It's like you said, Bill. Sometimes nice guys really do finish last."


No comments:

Post a Comment