The Resurrectionist

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Under the Door

"Crap."

"What."

"I forgot to lock up. Would you please do it hon, my back is really hurting."

"We live in the quietest neighborhood in the entire state."

"Oh please hon, I know I'm being paranoid, but you know I won't sleep if the house isn't locked."

"I'm so tired."

"Please, you know I hate feeling something can get me in the middle of the night. It creeps me out."

"Fine. I'll do it."

Paul got out of bed, half-asleep. Going around to each door, the front, side and back, before crawling back to bed.

"Got'em." Paul said.

"You're the best, hon."

"Yeah, I know."

Paul neared sleep, his mind fading in and out of awareness. I never locked the patio door. The thought snapped him awake. Paul turned over to find his wife fast asleep. Screw it. 


Later that Night

Paul woke up and rolled over to give his wife a squeeze, he found a cold pillow. A light flickered in the hallway. He got up to inspect.

"Babe, what are you doing? Paul found his wife sitting at the kitchen table, craddeling a glass of water.

"What's wrong, babe?" Paul asked, putting his hand on her shoulder. Paul's wife stared ahead towards the open screen door leading to the patio. "Oh babe I'm sorry. I must've forgotten the patio. It's ok, I'll get it." Paul slid closed the patio door and turned the lock.

"Come on, babe. Let's go back to bed."

Paul's wife was silent, visibly shaken. Ever since she was a young girl she'd been haunted by fears of intruders in her home.

"I don't feel well." She said. "I need the bathroom."

Paul helped his wife to the bathroom. She was two months pregnant and experiencing frequent nausea.

"What was that?" Paul's wife said. "Did you hear that? Oh God, someone's in the house, Paul."

"I hear it scratching at the door." Paul said.

The scratching continued, growing louder into soft knocking. Paul grabbed his wife, holding her tight. 

"It's ok. It's ok. It's going to be ok." Paul lied.

"Oh God." Paul's wife gasped.

A finger slid under the bathroom door, then another and another. Silent tears streamed down Sarah's face. Paul's body trembled as he held her close.

"What is it? Sarah slowed her breathing enough to talk.

Twenty fingers ran under the door, reaching for the couple, waiting to devour and consume.

" Oh God!" Paul cried. "We're having twins."

No comments:

Post a Comment